May 17, 2018 11:02:29 AM
A Lowndes County jury has found a Columbus man guilty of aggravated assault.
Leonard Cureton, 53, was arrested in September 2011 in connection with a stabbing and M and M Grocery on Fourth Street South. According to previous reports from The Dispatch, Cureton was accused of attacking and stabbing a man outside the store. The two had become involved in an argument when Cureton asked the victim for money.
Cureton has a slew of other charges, including an indictments in 2011 for assault on a law enforcement officer, robbery malicious mischief, though he has not been tried for any of them.
Cureton is scheduled to be sentenced at a later date and could face up to 20 years in Mississippi Department of Corrections.
1. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. One man killed in weekend shooting in West Point COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY