May 17, 2018 11:02:29 AM
A Lowndes County jury has found a Columbus man guilty of aggravated assault.
Leonard Cureton, 53, was arrested in September 2011 in connection with a stabbing and M and M Grocery on Fourth Street South. According to previous reports from The Dispatch, Cureton was accused of attacking and stabbing a man outside the store. The two had become involved in an argument when Cureton asked the victim for money.
Cureton has a slew of other charges, including an indictments in 2011 for assault on a law enforcement officer, robbery malicious mischief, though he has not been tried for any of them.
Cureton is scheduled to be sentenced at a later date and could face up to 20 years in Mississippi Department of Corrections.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY