May 17, 2018 11:02:35 AM
A Caledonia man will serve one year in Lowndes County Adult Detention Center after pleading guilty to exploitation of a child.
Kenneth Scott Franks, 49, was arrested in 2013 after authorities found child pornography on his cell phone. The victim in question was a teenager at the time of the arrest.
Multiple authorities said Franks knew the victim.
Franks has been sentenced to 10 years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections with one year to serve locally and 10 suspended. Deputies with Lowndes County Sheriff's Office arrested Franks in August 2013, and Franks was indicted the next year.
Franks' attorney, Rod Ray of Columbus, did not return a call from The Dispatch by press time. District Attorney Scott Colom said Franks entered an open plea, meaning he did not negotiate a plea deal with prosecutors.
All sex offenders in Mississippi are required to register with the Mississippi Sex Offender Registry.
A suspect in a separate case, Angela Baker, 52, pleaded guilty this week to one count of embezzlement.
Baker was arrested in April 2017 after she reportedly stole funds from a local trucking company where she worked as bookkeeper in 2015. Though authorities at the time did not release the amount Baker was accused of taking, her sentence requires her to pay $117,073 in restitution.
Baker was sentenced to 10 years in MDOC, but the bulk of the sentence was suspended. She will spend two years in intensive supervised probation (house arrest).
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY