June 12, 2018 10:29:21 AM
A Starkville man is in jail after reportedly asking people on Highway 12 for money while holding a gun.
SPD arrested 40-year-old Roger Forrester on suspicion of robbery on Monday.
Detective Carly Jo Winship, during Forrester's initial appearance in Starkville Municipal Court, said the department received numerous calls at around 2 p.m. Monday about a white male asking people for money. Some calls, she said, referenced the suspect having a gun.
Officers arrived at Zaxby's where they spoke to a female victim. The victim said Forrester stepped in front of her vehicle and asked if she had any change, according to Winship.
At that point, Winship said, the victim noticed Forrester was holding a gun.
"She said at that point she would've given him anything he wanted because she was scared," Winship said.
SPD used security camera footage to identify Forrester, and Winship said the victim identified him when she was shown a picture.
Municipal Judge Rodney Faver set Forrester's bond at $10,000. Forrester is currently in custody at the Oktibbeha County Jail and has a preliminary hearing scheduled for June 21.
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photos: Sturgis Bike Rally STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY